The odd and interesting request

When my late grandfather was diagnosed with diabetes mellitus in 2000, I asked my grandmother, what is diabetes mellitus (or also known as ‘kencing manis’ in Malay language)? I was so curious with the name of the diagnosis. Why ‘kencing manis’? Is it because there were too many sugar in the urine that makes it taste sweet? Why people do get diabetes mellitus? Plus, when my late grandfather passed away due to myocardial infarction, I keep on asking my mother the details and mechanism of the death.

As I was strolling through my secondary school, I learnt that sciences subjects made more sense to me because it has definitive answers to my questions about living things, ranging from the function of cells until the process of rusting through redox reaction. Since then, I was intrigued to know more about human physiology and anatomy. Plus, my curiosity about the ailments my family had couldn’t be answered until I entered medical school. The satisfaction of knowing the pathophysiology of a disease and how to deal with it with proper treatment and intervention makes me feel happy and appreciate the life given by God profoundly.

To be a doctor, I believe is a life long journey as a student as well. There is no finish line in the pursuit of knowledge about human and diseases. Besides that, I love interacting with human. To contribute and see the impact I made to their lives is satisfying. I observed and appreciate this kind of positive feeling when I was doing volunteering work, be it in medical field or not.


The road is not easy. There will be death, pain, and sadness throughout the journey of being a doctor. There will always be circumstances and I appreciate that we will not always happy with our life. But, to give and spread happiness to others, I hope it will ripple back to me when I am in dire need of it. 

**********************

My ad hock and brief explanation of why I wanna be a doctor. A HOD of a department from a hospital asked me to write this (handwritten, lol). His request is quite interesting, making me look back and tajdid my niyyah for a longer journey ahead. 

Anyway, I still feel insufficiency in terms of knowledge and skills to face the very final semester final year. Please make a lot of prayers for me and my friends ya? :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mitsaqon Gholizho

Dear Sumaiyah #1

It has been quite some time